Pages

12.22.2010

a matter of the heart.

Happiness is not determined by what one has or lacks. Genuine happiness is developed in the heart and radiates from within. I have come to realize that unhappiness is then an issue of one's heart. If I choose to harbor anger or frustrations in my heart, that anger will eventually overflow onto those around me, instead of showing them the love of Christ. The gospel of Luke states that, "The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of the evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks." (Luke 6:45 ESV)

Simply choosing to cultivate a joyful and contented heart obviously won't fix the problem overnight. It must be a daily choice in which I deny my own selfish whims and fears and allow Christ to live within me. This Christmas season, my prayer is that Christ will continue to teach me to store good treasures in my heart, and not evil ones. There are many situations that arise in my life that I have no control over, but I resolve to dwell only on the good things, giving the things I cannot change to God and trusting that He will work them out for good. 

I hope that you also will choose to allow God to fill your heart with joy and peace and contentment this holiday season, as we reflect on the wonderful gift of His son.


"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
-1John 1:9 ESV

~Bethany S.

No comments:

Post a Comment