Pages

7.05.2010

Musings at The Ranch.

          After a fun-filled Fourth of July weekend, Nick and I spent Monday morning on "the ranch," as the Sellai's fondly call it. The ranch is the family vineyard that has been owned and operated by the Sellai family for nearly one hundred years. Although the plot of land has shrunk since the good ol' days, with housing developments springing up all around, the ranch still offered me a great deal of history as I roamed its grounds, while Nick and his dad installed an air conditioning unit on the family home.

          See what I saw today in these photos...






       Fred, Nick's grandfather better known to his grandchildren as Nonno, kept a close eye on the ac installation, but also took some time to tell me about how he was born in that house back in 1919, and has lived there his entire life. Using his cane as a pointer, he shared details on his six children whose pictures line the walls, and his late wife. 


          For most of the morning as I sat on the porch steps, lost in thoughts and the nostalgia that surrounds the place. I tried to picture the lives of Nick's great grandparents, who first settled on that land after immigrating from Italy. It was really very peaceful.






          I think both Nick and his dad were afraid that Nonno would be in a grumpy mood, but he surprised them both as he spent the morning in cheerful conversation with me. He told stories about his wife and about the dogs  he has owned, about his children and about the changes he has witnessed in his lifetime like rising gas prices and the housing development sitting on what once was part of his then 20-acre property. "I used to have lots of neighbors," Nonno said. Longtime neighbors from his early farming days. "They've all died, though," he mused. "You out-lived them," Don, Nick's father, replied with a laugh. "That's what happens when you get old." 
          
          I don't think I am so worried about growing old though. I think today showed me that. I feel like I can grow old fearlessly as long as I do it surrounded by the people I love. I thought a lot about my own grandfather in Oklahoma. He used to share stories and insight with me often. I haven't spoken to him in quite a while though. Maybe I will write him a letter today, just to let him know I am thinking about him. And maybe I will make Nick take us to visit Nonno at the ranch again soon. Just to let him know that he is in our thoughts, too. ♥B.

          

No comments:

Post a Comment